Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Gerardo Mena's Blog
|Posted on July 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM|
I just received some great news that The New York Times "At War Blog" wants to publish an essay I wrote a bit ago about getting misty-eyed when a Starbucks barista went ahead and payed for my drinks when she saw I was an Iraq War veteran. It's definitely a great milestone in my career, especially because I've been a fan of the "At War Blog" for such a long time, and let's not forget the five other times I've submitted stuff to them over the years that didn't receive that magical "yes." Anyways, another year of high school is going to start soon. It feels like I'm taking that last deep breath before diving underwater again, hopefully to surface in May. I have several goals this year:
1. Turn in all my work on time for my M.F.A. program.
2. Finish the first draft of my novel by Christmas'ish.
3. Keep a positive attitude, even when students and/or curmudgeonly people in my life try to destroy it.
4. Do my best to teach my son good sportsmanship and how to learn from every match, win or lose, during this upcoming wrestling season.
5. Read books to my baby daughter every single night before her bed time. (She is already trying to read some poetry)